By far, this is my favorite lemon cookie recipe ever! The chewy cookies have the perfect blend of lemon and sweetness, while the lemony icing simply melts in your mouth. They’re simple to prepare, and they come out perfect every time. Good luck trying to eat just one!
Frosted Lemon Sunshines
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. In a large bowl, combine butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar; beat well. Add egg, oil, and lemon peel; mix wel.
2. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt to sugar mixture; beat until well blended. Cover dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours for easier handling.
3. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten cookies into 2-inch rounds with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
4. Bake at 325 F for 9-11 minutes or until edges begin to set and cookies are light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheats; place on wire racks. Cool 10 minutes or until completely cool.
5. Meanwhile, in small bowl, blend 2 cups powdered sugar and enough lemon juice for desired spreading consistency. Spread frosting on cooled cookies.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.